My Celebrity Life

Bafta addresses Noel Clarke’s award despite sexual misconduct allegations in new statement following backlash

Bafta has issued another statement on Noel Clarke (Picture: David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images)

Bafta has released a new statement to members on Noel Clarke, as it faced backlash for awarding the actor with its Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema honour amid allegations of sexual misconduct and bullying.

The academy insisted it ‘did not have sufficient grounds to take action’ on previously anonymous allegations after announcing the award in March.

The message followed claims of misconduct from 20 women raised in a Guardian report on Thursday, which the Doctor Who actor has vehemently denied.

Following the report, Bafta stripped the Viewpoint actor of his membership as well as a recently-presented honour while the allegations are being investigated, however it received backlash for still presenting the award at the April 11 ceremony despite being aware of the claims

In an email sent to Academy members overnight, Bafta insisted it wasn’t aware of the allegations raised towards Clarke when it announced his award earlier this year.

The message, seen by Metro.co.uk, shared with members the ‘background to this situation’ after the Academy faced intense backlash for presenting Clarke with the award despite having had claims raised to the organisation.

It read: ‘You may have seen the story in today’s Guardian regarding Bafta member and recent Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema (OBCC) award recipient Noel Clarke.

‘We are grateful that The Guardian was able to provide a platform where the victims were able to identify themselves, and to come forward and tell their stories.

‘As soon as The Guardian published firsthand accounts yesterday we immediately suspended the award and Noel Clarke’s membership of Bafta until further notice.

The actor was awarded the honour in April (Picure: David Fisher/for BAFTA/Rex)

‘We wanted to inform you of the background to this situation to give you the full picture.’

The message explained: ‘To be very clear, we did not know about any allegations relating to Noel Clarke prior to the announcement of the OBCC award on 29 March.

‘We want to reassure you that we have treated this matter with the utmost seriousness, care and proper process at every stage. The Bafta Board of Trustees has remained right across this matter, has met a number of times and are fully supportive of all actions taken.

‘The allegations against Mr Clarke are extremely serious and the behaviour they allege are contrary to Bafta’s values and everything it stands for. But no matter how abhorrent these allegations are, they cannot be dealt with without due process. Bafta is an arts charity that is not in a position to properly investigate such matters.’

The statement went on to insist had alleged victims ‘gone on the record’, Clarke’s award would have been suspended ‘immediately’, however said that ‘due to the anonymous claims and the lack of firsthand specificity, we did not have sufficient grounds to take action’.

Sky has since suspended filming on all Noel Clarke productions (Picture: Getty)

Bafta said: ‘In the days following the announcement, Bafta received anonymous emails of allegations in relation to Noel Clarke. These were either anonymous or second or thirdhand accounts via intermediaries. No firsthand allegations were sent to us. No names, times, dates, productions or other details were ever provided.

‘Had the victims gone on record as they have with The Guardian, the award would have been suspended immediately. Noel Clarke’s counsel received a legal notice to this effect. It was always very clear what our intentions would be.

‘We asked for individuals to come forward with their accounts and identify themselves, as they have done with The Guardian, but due to the anonymous claims and the lack of firsthand specificity, we did not have sufficient grounds to take action.

‘We completely understand why the individuals were extremely fearful to identify themselves to us, and we recognise how hard it is for victims to speak up. First, we encouraged them to report the incidents to their representatives, employers and/or the police. We then gave further advice as to which organisations could provide affected individuals with appropriate support.

‘Additionally, we were conscious of how hard it is to report these issues and as a result we put in place an independent, appropriately qualified person with whom the victims could discuss the issues raised in a safe and confidential environment.

‘The expert has a huge amount of experience working with individuals who have suffered sexual harassment, bullying and abuse and who understands the fear and reluctance of individuals to identify themselves. The expert is a leading advisor on establishing safe centres for women and is able to lead individuals through their different options. This process involved seeking advice on the correct individual, appointing them and fully briefing them. We wanted to ensure that we had the right person in place.

He has denied the allegations (Picture: Getty Images Europe)

‘We acted as quickly and supportively as we could, even though we had only received the most generic of claims and no actual firsthand information to investigate allegations which were potentially of a criminal nature.’

The message said Clarke contacted Bafta ‘urgently requesting a conversation’ after receiving the same anonymous emails, adding: ‘We confronted him with the anonymous allegations, which he strongly denied.’

According to Bafta: ‘Our lawyers have advised us every step of the way during this process to ensure we handled the matter correctly. Given that we did not have any of the personal testimony that The Guardian produced we were in an invidious situation and it would have been improper to halt the award at that point based on the extremely limited information that we had where the ultimate sources were unknown.

‘As you are aware, Bafta has taken action against individuals who have been accused of similar behaviour in the past but in those cases we were able to do so because there was evidence that allowed us to take action.

‘We very much regret that women felt unable to provide us with the kind of firsthand testimony that has now appeared in The Guardian. Had we been in receipt of this, we would never have presented the award to Noel Clarke.’

Following the allegations, Clarke has been stripped of his Bafta membership, the recent award as well as his honourary British Urban Film Festival award – with BUFF founder Emmanuel Anyiam-Osigwe and managing director Clare Anyiam-Osigwe also withdrawing their Bafta memberships.

Sky has also suspended filming on Clarke’s drama Bulletproof in the wake of the claims, while management 42 M&P stopped working with the actor earlier this month.

In a statement to the Guardian, Clarke denied all claims.

He said: ‘In a 20-year career, I have put inclusivity and diversity at the forefront of my work and never had a complaint made against me. If anyone who has worked with me has ever felt uncomfortable or disrespected, I sincerely apologise. I vehemently deny any sexual misconduct or wrongdoing and intend to defend myself against these false allegations.’


Credit: Original article published here.

Related posts

Nick Knowles and BBC seeking ‘to resolve’ fall out over Shreddies advert that could cost him DIY SOS job

John Turner

James Whale ‘on standby’ to take Piers Morgan’s GMB seat: ‘I’d be ideal’

John Turner

Dominic West’s wife says they are ‘totally devoted to each other’ after Lily James scandal

John Turner
%d bloggers like this: