Ben Fogle has opened up about the traumatic experience when his drink was spiked, in order to raise awareness of the subject and reduce the stigma surrounding it.
The broadcaster, 47, called the incident ‘one of the scariest’ he has ever had to face, revealing the ‘unknown substance’ had ‘caused a psychotic episode’ that led to hospitalisation and a suicide attempt.
Taking to Instagram, he told fans: ‘Several years ago, in 2013 to be precise, my drink was spiked with an unknown substance that resulted in a psychotic episode that saw me hospitalised.
‘It was one of the scariest experiences of my life but the response was even more disappointing.’
Ben explained that the hospital he was staying at lost the samples they had taken, which were later leaked to the press, leading to the star receiving a string of abuse by online trolls.
He continued: ‘The impact of drink spiking cannot be underestimated. The unknown drug caused a psychotic episode during which I tried to kill myself.
‘I spent weeks undergoing psychological and medical testing to ensure it wasn’t self-induced by illness.
‘Multiple doctors concluded that it was indeed an external drug that had caused the psychosis and yet there was no recrimination, just suspicion as to why and how I had been spiked.’
Ben argued that this was an example of ‘society’s’ general approach to spiking’, in that the blame is usually placed on the victim rather than the perpetrator.
He went on: ‘I have been contacted by policemen, soliders and students who all have the same story to tell. It can happen to anyone.
‘Anywhere (mine was a rural pub in the Cotswolds). Anytime. It was a tough lesson. Love and peace.’
Another added: ‘You’re a brilliant role model Ben. Keep up your fantastic work.’