Drew Barrymore has stepped down as host of the 74th National Book Awards.
The National Book Foundation noted that the 48-year-old’s offer to host had been withdrawn due to her choice to relaunch her self-titled talk programme during the Writers Guild of America (WGA) strike.
The event is scheduled for November 15 in New York, but the National Book Foundation announced in a statement released on X, formerly known as Twitter, that Drew would no longer host.
‘In light of the revelation that The Drew Barrymore Show will start production, the National Book organisation has retracted Ms Barrymore’s invitation to host the 74th National Book Awards Ceremony,’ the organisation stated in a tweet on Tuesday.
‘Our aim is to ensuring that the emphasis of the Awards stays on honouring writers and books,’ the statement said, adding ‘we are thankful to Ms Barrymore and her staff for their understanding in this situation.’
The A-list actress has presented the Drew Barrymore Show since 2020 and announced her desire to bring it back over the weekend.
Drew said in an Instagram post: ‘I own this choice. We are in compliance with not discussing or promoting film and television that is struck of any kind.
‘I want to be there to provide what writers do so well, which is a way to bring us together or help us make sense of the human experience. I hope for a resolve for everyone as soon as possible. We have navigated difficult times since we first came on air.
‘And so I take a step forward to start season 4 once again with an astute humility.’
View this post on Instagram
It comes after it was revealed that two Drew Barrymore Show audience members were ejected for wearing WGA pins in support of the writers’ strike, which Drew was allegedly unaware of.
Dominic Turiczek, an audience member, wrote on X about how he was forced to leave a live production after executives observed him and another audience member wearing pro-Hollywood strikes pins and t-shirts.
‘Went to @DrewBarrymoreTV after winning tickets, unaware of the #WGA strike,’ he wrote alongside a photo of himself posing outside of the studios.
‘We took pins & went in, got kicked out, & verbally assaulted by @DrewBarrymore ’s crew. It’s clear they don’t support #WGAStrong, writers or fans! #DrewTheRightThing So we took shirts and joined. F*** that.’
A spokesperson told The Hollywood Reporter: ‘It is our policy to welcome everyone to our show tapings. Due to heightened security concerns today, we regret that two audience members were not permitted to attend or were not allowed access.
‘Drew was completely unaware of the incident and we are in the process of reaching out to the affected audience members to offer them new tickets.’