Nikki Grahame’s death has sparked an investigation (Picture: Nils Jorgensen/REX)
Big Brother star Nikki Grahame’s sudden death has sparked a ‘full internal investigation’ at Dorset County Hospital.
The reality TV icon died on April 9 aged 38 following a long battle with anorexia and had been treated at a general hospital for three weeks before being discharged 24 hours prior to her death.
It’s now been confirmed an investigation into the circumstances of Grahame’s death is underway at the Dorchester medical facility as is ‘in line with standard procedures following any sudden death’.
A spokeswoman for Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust told The Sun: ‘Staff at the Trust were deeply saddened to learn of the death of Miss Grahame, and our thoughts are with the family and friends of Miss Grahame at this very difficult time.
‘A full internal investigation into the circumstances of Miss Grahame’s death is currently underway. This is in line with standard procedures following any sudden death.
‘All information and findings arising from this investigation will be shared confidentially with Miss Grahame’s family, and thereafter with the Coroner as part of any Coronial process.
The icon died earlier this month (Picture: PA)
‘The Trust will do everything it can to assist the Coroner in any ongoing Coronial process.’
Recently sources claimed those close to the star ‘feel she would be alive today if she wasn’t discharged so soon’.
They added to The Sun: ‘Her family feel she wasn’t strong enough physically to care for herself. It’s left them shocked and heartbroken.’
It comes after a source close to the star told Metro.co.uk Grahame never made it to a specialist eating disorder unit because there were no beds available either on the NHS or privately.
They added: ‘Nikki was supposed to enter an outpatient clinic from this Monday, she sadly never got to and died within 24 hours of leaving hospital.’
The source continued that Grahame’s loved ones ‘pleaded with’ the hospital not to discharge her ‘as she wasn’t ready’ but say the much-loved star had been in ‘good spirits’ after gaining weight while there.
The star’s fans have pledged more than £70,000 to help cover her funeral costs and to support others suffering from eating disorders.
A GoFundMe page was set up for the late star before she died to help cover some of her treatment costs.
Following Grahame’s death, donations were switched off, but they have now been turned on again and a total of £70,275 has been raised.
A recent update from the page’s organisers Carly Cunningham and Leon Dee reads: ‘We just wanted to let you know that we are turning donations back on for anyone that would like to make a donation in Nikki’s memory, as lots of people have been asking if they can still donate.
‘An amount will be used for the funeral costs and the remaining funds will be used to go towards an organisation that helps those suffering with eating disorders, the crucial funding that has been lacking to help people in these awful situations has not been addressed, we will use this money to the best of our ability to try and and stem this horrific, debilitating illness.
‘We also would like to thank people who have sent private messages with lovely words about Nikki, she would be so thankful. (sic).’
If you suspect you, a family member or friend has an eating disorder, contact Beat on 0808 801 0677 or at firstname.lastname@example.org, for information and advice on the best way to get appropriate treatment