Paul Burrell has insisted there should be an investigation into Meghan Markle’s claims there were concerns and conversations within the Royal Family about how dark her son’s skin might be.
During Meghan and Prince Harry’s tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey, she alleged that the comments were made while she was pregnant with Archie.
Speaking on Steph’s Packed Lunch on Channel 4, former royal butler Burrell stated that in 21 years of working with the royal family, he ‘never saw racism’.
Host Steph McGovern asked him: ‘Meghan and Harry are clearly saying they have had a problem with racism, do you not think there should be an investigation?’
He responded: ‘Well yes, because racism should be stamped out, there’s no room for it in today’s society, absolutely no room at all.’
In the interview, Oprah asked Meghan about the alleged conversations about her unborn child: ‘Who is having that conversation with you?’
Meghan would not say who raised this, saying: ‘I think that would be damaging to them.’
She added the concerns were relayed to her by Harry, who had been told people were worried about ‘what that would mean or look like’.
Meghan added: ‘That was relayed to me from Harry, those were conversations the family had with him, and I think it was really hard to be able to see those as compartmentalised conversations.’
Asked whether there were concerns her child would be ‘too brown’ and that would be a problem, Meghan said: ‘If that is the assumption you are making, that is a pretty safe one.’
Harry and Meghan’s Oprah interview: Key moments
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have spoken to Oprah Winfrey in a bombshell interview about their decision to step back as senior working members of the Royal Family.
Here are the key points from the interview, which UK viewers can watch at 9pm on ITV on Monday, March 8.
- Meghan says it was Kate who made her cry over flower girls, not other way round
- Meghan says Harry was told there were ‘concerns how dark’ Archie would be
- Harry and Meghan reveal the gender of their baby due in summer
- Meghan sobs as she says pressures of royal life drove her to the verge of suicide
- Prince Charles stopped taking Harry’s calls after he quit Royal Family
- Harry says Meghan saved him from being ‘trapped’ like Prince Charles and Prince William are
- Princess Diana would be ‘sad and angry about how this has panned out’
- Meghan and Harry share adorable new video of son Archie at the beach
- Harry confirms terrible rift with William and says their relationship is now just ‘space’
- Queen ‘ghosted Harry during Megxit talks and got aide to say she was too busy’