The TV presenter quit Good Morning Britain yesterday after receiving 41,000 Ofcom complaints for doubting the Duchess of Sussex’s revelation that she considered suicide at the height of racist abuse.
Meghan sat down with husband Prince Harry for an explosive interview with Oprah Winfrey on Sunday night, explaining their decision to quit life as senior members of the Royal family.
‘I’ve had time to reflect on this opinion, and I still don’t. If you did, OK.
‘Freedom of speech is a hill I’m happy to die on. Thanks for all the love, and hate. I’m off to spend more time with my opinions.’
He included a photo of Winston Churchill with the quote: ‘Some people’s idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone says anything back, that is an outrage.’
Hours before, it was announced that Piers, 55, had decided to step down from hosting GMB alongside Susanna Reid after more than five years.
Confirming the shocking news, ITV said in a statement: ‘Following discussions with ITV, Piers Morgan has decided now is the time to leave Good Morning Britain.
‘ITV has accepted this decision and has nothing further to add.’
Sources later claimed that Piers quit after refusing to apologise on-air for his remarks.
Piers had received immense backlash after laying into Meghan and Harry’s interview, in which they claimed a member of the Royal family expressed ‘concerns’ over ‘how dark’ their son Archie’s skin tone would be.
‘I’m angry to the point of bawling over today. I’m sickened by what I just had to watch,’ Piers stated during Monday’s episode of GMB.
The TV presenter continued: ‘This is a two-hour trashathon of our royal family, of the monarchy and everything our queen has worked so hard for and it’s all been done while Prince Philip lies in hospital.
‘They trash everybody. They basically make out our Royal family are a bunch of white supremacists by this race bombshell. They didn’t name any which one it was, they just throw it.’
Piers then addressed Meghan’s suicidal revelation and questioned: ‘Who did you go to? What did they say to you? I’m sorry, I don’t believe a word she said, Meghan Markle. I wouldn’t believe it if she read me weather report.
‘The fact that she’s fired up this onslaught against our Royal family I think is contemptible.’
Ofcom later confirmed that they had received around 41,000 complaints about Piers’ various comments and would be launching an investigation.
Need support? Contact the Samaritans
Harry and Meghan’s Oprah interview: Key moments
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have spoken to Oprah Winfrey in a bombshell interview about their decision to step back as senior working members of the Royal Family.
Here are the key points from the interview, which UK viewers can watch at 9pm on ITV on Monday, March 8.
- Meghan says it was Kate who made her cry over flower girls, not other way round
- Meghan says Harry was told there were ‘concerns how dark’ Archie would be
- Harry and Meghan reveal the gender of their baby due in summer
- Meghan sobs as she says pressures of royal life drove her to the verge of suicide
- Prince Charles stopped taking Harry’s calls after he quit Royal Family
- Harry says Meghan saved him from being ‘trapped’ like Prince Charles and Prince William are
- Princess Diana would be ‘sad and angry about how this has panned out’
- Meghan and Harry share adorable new video of son Archie at the beach
- Harry confirms terrible rift with William and says their relationship is now just ‘space’
- Queen ‘ghosted Harry during Megxit talks and got aide to say she was too busy’