Tom Cruise has thrown himself into filming for Mission: Impossible 7 over the last few months, but production has now been shut down following reports ’12 people have tested positive for coronavirus’.
Filming had been going ahead in Venice, Italy, with pictures recently surfacing from set showing Tom, who is famed for taking on his own stunts, jumping between boats in action-packed scenes.
Fast forward a week, however, and it’s now a different story on set, as production has come to a halt and Tom, 58, has been seen holding crisis talks with the movie’s director Christopher McQuarrie and other crew members.
The team gathered on the rooftop of their Venice hotel to discuss whether filming can continue, with Tom seen sporting a black mask over his nose and mouth and looking disheartened as he leaned over the terrace railing.
Filming for Mission: Impossible 7 had been suspended on Monday, after suspected coronavirus cases among some of those involved in the film emerged.
The Sun reported earlier this week that health officials are now investigating and tracing contacts of at least 12 people who have reportedly tested positive for Covid-19, despite initial hopes it had been an isolated case.
News of the film set being shut down came after the publication had reported 150 extras were turned away from set.
Sources claimed extras were told not to turn up on set for filming scheduled for Thursday evening and no official reason was given at first – it was later revealed that a coronavirus test had come back as positive within production.
‘There are about 150 extras involved in the filming and late on Thursday they were all told not to turn up for work and they would be notified when they would be allowed back on set,’ an insider revealed at the time.
‘No official reason has been given but it’s feared it’s down to Covid and this will be the second time the production has been hit because of the virus.’
Due to the pandemic, Mission: Impossible 7 has seen its release date pushed back until November 2021 and production was forced to shut down earlier this year, when the virus first took hold.
It picked back up again in Norway in July, with reports revealing Tom had even forked out £500,000 on renting out cruise ships for the production crew in order to keep them safe from the virus.
It was claimed the Hollywood star, who plays Ethan Hunt in the Mission: Impossible franchise, was ‘determined not to see anymore hold-ups’ and took extra precautions in the hope of finishing the shoot.
The last Mission: Impossible movie, Fallout, came out two years ago in 2018.
As well as Mission: Impossible 7, an eighth movie in the franchise has been confirmed and was scheduled to drop in August 2022.
Due to ongoing setbacks and production delays, however, it is now scheduled for release in November 2022 instead.
Metro.co.uk has reached out to Tom’s rep and a spokesperson for Paramount Pictures for comment.
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us email@example.com, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.
Credit: Original article published here.