My Celebrity Life

Andrew Neil rips into GB News and declares he’ll never appear on channel again over ‘smears’

My Celebrity Life –
Andrew has hit out at his former employer (Picture: GB News)

Former GB News chairman Andrew Neil has lashed out at the broadcaster over his exit and insisted he’ll never again appear on the network after accusing it of leaking ‘smears’ to a newspaper.

The veteran broadcaster laid into his former employer and claimed it ‘unilaterally’ cancelled his exit deal, adding he ‘couldn’t be happier’ to have severed ties.

Neil, 72, who announced his departure from GB News earlier this month, tweeted on Wednesday evening: ‘After weeks of talks with @GBNEWS, resulting in exit settlement, the channel then broke it by briefing Mail on Sunday with load of smears/lies then unilaterally cancelling exit deal.

‘Leaving me free to do, say whatever I want + never again be on GBNews. Couldn’t be happier.’

Former BBC presenter Neil had been chairman of the fledgling channel, which has hit back at criticisms of its troubled launch in June, and its most high-profile star.

Neil took a break two weeks after the launch and, amid reports of a difference of opinion between him and other senior executives, his departure was announced earlier this month.

My Celebrity Life –
The chair took leave from the fledgling channel in June before stepping down (Picture: Ken McKay/ITV)

A report in the Mail on Sunday cited a leaked memo claiming the journalist was about to be sacked before he walked.

Initially, it was said he would still appear on the channel as a commentator, however, Neil appeared on BBC’s Question Time last week and said he had been in a ‘minority of one’ over the future direction of GB News, which has been accused of trying to import Fox News-style journalism to the UK.

He said: ‘More and more differences emerged between myself and the other senior managers and the board of GB News.

‘Rather than these differences narrowing, they got wider and wider and I felt it was best that if that’s the route they wanted to take then that’s up to them, it’s their money.

‘The route is what I think you can see on GB News at the moment, people should make up their own minds what they want to watch.’

After the Question Time appearance, GB News issued a rebuttal.

It said: ‘During last night’s BBC Question Time, a number of demonstrably untrue remarks were made about GB News. We stand for fair debate, tolerance, free speech and factual journalism. There are always more than two sides to any story and we believe in listening to all of them.’

A number of big names joined the channel – which is yet to publicly address Neil’s latest comments – for its launch including ITV News journalist Alastair Stewart, BBC journalist Simon McCoy and former Labour MP Gloria De Piero.

Guto Harri quit the channel following a row over him taking the knee during a debate on the racism directed towards England football players, while other staff members have reportedly left.


Credit: Original article published here.

Related posts

Inbetweeners star Blake Harrison says Neil’s iconic dance moves are ‘bane’ of his life: ‘I’ve never been able to dance again’

John Turner

Gogglebox’s Paige Deville claims ‘invasive’ crew used electricity and her loo roll before she quit

John Turner

Where were Jenny and Lee on last night’s Gogglebox? Fans express concern as pair are missing from latest episode

John Turner
%d bloggers like this: