Victoria Derbyshire has revealed that the BBC originally didn’t want her to do I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here! this year.
The journalist and presenter said she had to get permission from the broadcaster to take part in the ITV series, even offering to take unpaid leave to join the camp.
Speaking to the Sunday Times magazine, Victoria recounted a conversation she had with head of BBC News Fran Unsworth – and how she managed to convince her.
‘I said, “I’ll take unpaid leave. I’m not going to cross any lines of impartiality. I’m not going to bring the BBC into disrepute.”’ she said.
Victoria added: ‘But the area where Fran conceded was when I argued that BBC News wants to attract diverse, young, less affluent people and this is the show they all watch.’
Victoria also revealed she was keen to impress during her time in camp because I’m A Celebrity is one of the shows her family enjoy together.
She said: ‘It’s one of the only things we watch together as a family apart from [Strictly Come Dancing]. They thought I’d be really good at the trials because they know I get stuck in, but most of all they love the fact I was in it because all their mates watch.’
The journalist has worked with the BBC for years. The Victoria Derbyshire Show was broadcast on BBC Two from 2015 until it was axed this year, and she’s also presented BBC programmes such as Panorama and Newsnight.
Victoria starred in one of the most popular series of I’m A Celebrity yet, before being eliminated alongside Coronation Street star Beverley Callard. The series was eventually won by Giovanna Fletcher.
Victoria’s son Ollie previously shared a beautiful photo of his mum’s ‘happiest moment’ after the broadcaster opened up about having breast cancer on the programme.
I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here! Is available to catch up on ITV Player.
Credit: Original article published here.