For the first time ever, dancers are performing in front of an empty ballroom on the show, with coronavirus restrictions making the introduction of live audiences impossible.
It’s part of a raft of new restrictions, with dancers and celebs frequently tested for Covid-19 and forming bubbles to ensure they can rehearse safely.
The judges have also been sitting on separate desks rather than one panel, and presenters Claudia Winkleman and Tess Daly can’t touch during the show.
Kevin, who left the show earlier this year, told the Sun that Strictly does not have the same impact without fans being there in person.
Kevin said: ‘There is an empty studio pretty much with the celebs and their dancers and a few dotted around on the other side, it does not have that same effect in the studio.’
He also claimed that Jacqui Smith and Anton Du Beke could still be in the competition if they’d been given the chance to impress the crowd.
‘I think there have been numbers that I have seen where people react in the studio and they have just gone off at the end of the number. Tess Daly is trying to talk and they are still clapping and stamping their feet and there is a second wave of applause.’
He added: ‘If that had happened for Jacqui and Anton they might have become everyone’s favourite.’
Kevin won the 2018 edition of the show with girlfriend Stacey Dooley. He left Strictly to star in Craig Revel Horwood’s Strictly Ballroom in March, but recently admitted he regretting leaving after the music was postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Strictly Come Dancing returns on BBC One at 7.10pm on Saturday.
Credit: Original article published here.