My Celebrity Life

Gary Barlow pleads for more talent shows amid Walk The Line flop

Gary thinks there needs to be more talent-based competitions on our screens (Picture: ITV/BBC)

Gary Barlow has called out for more talent shows despite producers having told him ‘music does not work on TV anymore.’

The Take That star, who serves as a judge on ITV’s latest talent series Walk The Line, has teased his one-off BBC special I’m With The Band could return for another season.

However, the Patience hitmaker claimed television networks don’t want music programming, but he thinks there is still plenty that can be done without needing to fit into a format ‘which has nothing to do with music.’

Speaking to journalist Jay Rayner on his Out To Lunch podcast, Gary said: ‘We are in an age now, unfortunately, when I sit with broadcasters and they all say “music does not work on TV anymore.”

‘I never know what they mean by that.’

The musician is certainly an expert in the judging field after appearing on the X Factor panel from 2011 to 2013. However, the star believes a lot has changed since then.

The star is currently a judge on ITV’s Walk The Line (Picture: ITV/Matt Frost)
Gary thinks a lot has changed since X Factor (Picture: ITV/Tom Dymond/Thames)

‘The sad thing about music on TV nowadays is that we are all sort of forced into a show which has nothing to do with music and they throw us on for two minutes and that is it.

‘So when things like Walk The Line comes along I say, “thank God there is a window still.”‘

Although the star is desperate for more musical TV programming, viewers are currently struggling to get to grips with the current one dominating ITV at the moment.

The latest episode of Simon Cowell’s new singing competition aired on Tuesday night with Maya Jama returning as host and Alesha Dixon, Craig David and Gary on the judging panel as contestants battle it out to win £500,000.

The top two performers of the evening will face a decision to either ‘cash out’ and take a prize, or ‘walk the line’ and play on.

According to The Version, the entertainment programme had 3million viewers tune in, which sharply contrasts the figures Britain’s Got Talent and X Factor would bring in.

Monday’s episode saw only 2.1million, which is around a third down from Sunday’s debut.

Not looking good! ITV will be hoping for a drastic uptick before the end of the run otherwise it will be the show walking the line – into oblivion.

Fans on social media have expressed a divided opinion on the new show, with some still not understanding the concept.

One tweeted: ‘Sorry #WalkTheLine but the concept is just wrong !! Makes no sense.’

‘Not entirely sure about this concept. Some need to get thru several days, Friday singers just thru that night?’ one said.

Walk The Line returns on Wednesday at 8pm on ITV.

 

Related posts

This Morning viewers can’t cope with giant opera singing dog ‘that looks like a horse’

John Turner

Jamie Laing was ‘freaking out’ while basically flashing manhood to millions on Strictly Come Dancing

John Turner

Ex-porn star Ron Jeremy ‘showing signs of dementia’ causing delay to trial in new Channel 4 documentary

John Turner
%d bloggers like this: