Gogglebox’s Jenny Newby was entertaining fans in her sleep when friend Lee Riley captured her snoozing to Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s illuminating interview with Oprah Winfrey.
Over the past week, the revelations that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex made to media mogul Oprah about their decision to step away as senior working members of the royal family have rocked the world.
It should therefore come as no surprise that the stars of Channel 4’s Gogglebox would react to the revelatory event, with Piers Morgan’s dramatic exit from Good Morning Britain following his controversial comments about the interview also being reviewed on the programme.
Ahead of tonight’s episode, Lee shared a video on his and Jenny’s joint Instagram account showing a behind-the-scenes peek at his pal nodding off during Meghan’s intimate chat with Oprah.
Writing in the caption: ‘Happy Friday everyone caught sleeping on the job,’ the video shows Jenny sleeping soundly on the sofa as the duchess’ voice can be heard playing faintly in the background.
But Jenny’s peaceful kip is cut short when Lee startles her awake, prompting her to exclaim: ‘Freaking hell, you frightened me to death.’
‘I was talking to you and you just fell asleep,’ Lee says, to which Jenny responds: ‘You are a prat, you.’
Gogglebox fans were left in hysterics over Jenny’s untimely slumber, with one person commenting on the Instagram video: ‘I love you two -you always make me smile.’
‘Love these pair,’ another stated, adding: ‘They honestly have me in stitches when I watch it.’
‘U guys just make me laugh!’ someone else wrote, with a multitude of Instagram users commenting with rows of cry-laughing emojis.
While Lee may have annoyed Jenny by disturbing her nap, the pair’s friendship goes way back, having first met back in 1994 when Jenny was a landlady of a pub and Lee was a regular.
They both live in Patrington Haven caravan park in Hull and moved in together during the first lockdown of the pandemic so they could keep filming Gogglebox.
Earlier this week, Piers quit Good Morning Britain after expressing his disbelief on-air over comments Meghan made in her interview with Oprah about her mental health.
The broadcaster left the show after 41,000 people complained about his remarks, with the duchess also lodging complaints with ITV and Ofcom.
Gogglebox airs tonight at 9pm on Channel 4.
Harry and Meghan’s Oprah interview: Key moments
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have spoken to Oprah Winfrey in a bombshell interview about their decision to step back as senior working members of the Royal Family.
Here are the key points from the interview, which UK viewers can watch at 9pm on ITV on Monday, March 8.
- Meghan says it was Kate who made her cry over flower girls, not other way round
- Meghan says Harry was told there were ‘concerns how dark’ Archie would be
- Harry and Meghan reveal the gender of their baby due in summer
- Meghan sobs as she says pressures of royal life drove her to the verge of suicide
- Prince Charles stopped taking Harry’s calls after he quit Royal Family
- Harry says Meghan saved him from being ‘trapped’ like Prince Charles and Prince William are
- Princess Diana would be ‘sad and angry about how this has panned out’
- Meghan and Harry share adorable new video of son Archie at the beach
- Harry confirms terrible rift with William and says their relationship is now just ‘space’
- Queen ‘ghosted Harry during Megxit talks and got aide to say she was too busy’