My Celebrity Life

Has Kay Burley been sacked from Sky News and what did she say in her apology after breaking Covid rules?

Kay Burley confirmed she will be off air from Sky News for six months.

The presenter has not been sacked, but instead will be ‘stepping back’ for a period of reflection, after breaking coronavirus tier two rules.

The journalist marked her 60th birthday on Saturday with a group of friends, including Sky colleagues Beth Rigby and Inzamam Rashid – who have also agreed to take three months off.

She confirmed that she had dinner at a ‘Covid compliant restaurant’ in London on the evening in question, but used the bathroom of another eatery before heading home.

According to Guido Fawkes, she actually first celebrated the occasion at Soho’s Century Club with a group of 10 people – more than the rule of six.

This reportedly included three of her Sky colleagues – with the group sitting at two tables before they went to a nearby restaurant.

It is also claimed that a smaller group of four then returned to her home to continue the evening.

What did Kay Burley say in her apology?

Kay issued a statement on Thursday, explaining that she was taking some time off from her role at the corporation over her actions.

In the message, she apologised for ‘making a mistake’, insisting that ‘we are all in the fight’ against coronavirus.

‘I have today agreed with Sky News to step back from my broadcasting role for a period of reflection,’ she said. ‘It’s clear to me that we are all in the fight against Covid-19 and that we all have a duty to stick firmly by the rules.

‘It doesn’t matter than I thought I was Covid-compliant on a recent social event. The fact is I was wrong, I made a big mistake, and I am sorry.

 

‘Some dear friends and colleagues – some of the most talented and committed professionals in our business – have been pulled into this episode and I regret this enormously.’

‘I was one of the founding presenters of Sky News,’ she continued. ‘No one is prouder of our channel’s reputation, the professionals on our team, and the impact we make.

‘I very much look forward to being able to continue my 32-year career with Sky when I return.’

Kay previously addressed her actions, explaining it was an ‘error of judgement’.

 

 

In a message shared on social media, she added: ‘On Saturday night I was enjoying my 60th birthday at a Covid-compliant restaurant.

‘I am embarrassed to say that later in the evening I inadvertently broke the rules. I had been waiting for a taxi at 11pm to get home. Desperate for the loo I briefly popped into another restaurant to spend a penny.

‘I can only apologise.’

What have Sky News said about the rule break?

A spokesperson for Sky previously confirmed that they were looking into the breach internally, and expect everyone associated with the corporation to follow all rules set in place by the government.

They have now said: ‘A small number of Sky News staff attended a social event in London on Saturday evening during which Covid-19 guidelines were breached.

‘As a result of an internal review Sky News presenter Kay Burley has agreed to be off air for six months, and political editor Beth Rigby and correspondent Inzamam Rashid have agreed to be off air for three months.

‘All those involved regret the incident and have apologised.

‘Everyone at Sky News is expected to comply with the rules and the company takes breaches like this very seriously indeed.’

 


Credit: Original article published here.

Related posts

The Love Trap cast: Where have you seen star David Birtwistle before?

John Turner

Extraordinary Extensions viewers obsessed with Tinie Tempah’s croissant print jacket – here’s where you can get it

John Turner

Strictly Come Dancing’s Shirley Ballas shares health update after concerned viewers spot lump

John Turner
%d bloggers like this: