ITV has been forced to edit Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey to remove ‘misleading’ headlines.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex made a number of shocking revelations about life inside the royal family, including Meghan sharing how she had suicidal thoughts as she struggled with life in the spotlight.
She also alleged an unnamed member of the royal family raised ‘concerns and conversations’ about how dark her son Archie’s skin might be when he’s born.
Headlines popped up on-screen which were said to have been manipulated to support the couple’s claim they were subjected to racist coverage during their two-hour chat.
Associated Newspapers lodged a complaint to American TV network CBS, which first aired the interview over ‘deliberate distortion and doctoring’ in a segment of the interview.
It argued that the portion was designed to showcase the British tabloid coverage of Meghan may have been racist was ‘seriously inaccurate and misleading’.
In a letter sent to CBS on Friday, Associated Newspapers’ legal director, Elizabeth Hartley, said: ‘Many of the headlines have been either taken out of context or deliberately edited and displayed as supporting evidence for the programme’s claim that the Duchess of Sussex was subjected to racist coverage by the British press.
‘This editing was not made apparent to viewers and, as a result, this section of the programme is both seriously inaccurate and misleading.’
An ITV spokesman told the Telegarph it would remove three manipulated Daily Mail, MailOnline and Mail on Sunday headlines, plus a headline wrongly attributed to the Guardian.
Oprah’s company, Harpo Productions, said: ‘We stand by the broadcast in its entirety.’
Harry and Meghan’s Oprah interview: Key moments
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have spoken to Oprah Winfrey in a bombshell interview about their decision to step back as senior working members of the Royal Family.
Here are the key points from the interview, which UK viewers can watch at 9pm on ITV on Monday, March 8.
- Meghan says it was Kate who made her cry over flower girls, not other way round
- Meghan says Harry was told there were ‘concerns how dark’ Archie would be
- Harry and Meghan reveal the gender of their baby due in summer
- Meghan sobs as she says pressures of royal life drove her to the verge of suicide
- Prince Charles stopped taking Harry’s calls after he quit Royal Family
- Harry says Meghan saved him from being ‘trapped’ like Prince Charles and Prince William are
- Princess Diana would be ‘sad and angry about how this has panned out’
- Meghan and Harry share adorable new video of son Archie at the beach
- Harry confirms terrible rift with William and says their relationship is now just ‘space’
- Queen ‘ghosted Harry during Megxit talks and got aide to say she was too busy’