My Celebrity Life

Kay Burley sighs ‘bah humbug’ on The Chase as she makes return to TV after Sky News suspension

Kay Burley is set to make her first TV appearance on The Chase after she was suspended from Sky News for flouting tier two lockdown restrictions.

The news reporter will join Richard Herring, Tim Lovejoy and Eniola Aluko on tonight’s celebrity edition of the quiz show filmed before the reporter was punished by the broadcaster.

Taking to Twitter on Christmas Day, Kay shared a clip of the festive episode, and in it she can be seen saying: ‘Bah humbug.’

‘Merry Christmas everyone,’ she captioned the video.

‘Want to know how we fared against all five festive chasers in a charity special? Tune in at 5pm on @ITV.’


In the clip, host Bradley Walsh introduces the contestants before we see snippets of the celebs attempting to answer the questions.

Towards the end, Kay says ‘Bah humbug’ to Bradley in what appears to be a reply to a question.

It comes after the journalist apologised for breaking lockdown restrictions earlier this month following her 60th birthday celebrations, which led to the presenter agreeing to take six months off air.

Correspondents Beth Rigby and Inzamam Rashid, who also attended the bash, have also agreed to take three months off air.

My Celebrity Life –
Kay was suspended from Sky News (Picture: ITV)

Kay explained how she had dinner at a ‘Covid compliant restaurant’ before popping into a second restaurant to use the bathroom.

However Guido Fawkes reported that the journalist first marked the occasion at Century Club in Soho with a group of 10 that included three of her Sky colleagues. Kay’s party sat at two tables before going on to a nearby restaurant.

It’s also claimed a smaller group of four then returned to her home to continue the celebrations.

My Celebrity Life –
Kay issued an apology after flouting tier two rules (Picture: Sky)

Issuing a statement about her suspension, Kay said: ‘I have today agreed with Sky News to step back from my broadcasting role for a period of reflection.

‘It’s clear to me that we are all in the fight against Covid-19 and that we all have a duty to stick firmly by the rules.

‘It doesn’t matter that I thought I was Covid-compliant on a recent social event. The fact is I was wrong, I made a big mistake, and I am sorry.’

 

Kay, who turned 60 on December 17, continued: ‘Some dear friends and colleagues – some of the most talented and committed professionals in our business – have been pulled into this episode and I regret this enormously.

‘I was one of the founding presenters on Sky News. No one is prouder of our channel’s reputation, the professionals on our team, and the impact we make.

‘I very much look forward to being able to continue my 32-year career with Sky when I return.’

Sky News also released a statement about Kay and her colleagues breaking the rules.

‘A small number of Sky News staff attended a social event in London on Saturday evening during which Covid-19 guidelines were breached,’ a spokesperson said in a statement.

‘As a result of an internal review Sky News presenter Kay Burley has agreed to be off air for six months, and political editor Beth Rigby and correspondent Inzamam Rashid have agreed to be off air for three months.

‘All those involved regret the incident and have apologised. Everyone at Sky News is expected to comply with the rules and the company takes breaches like this very seriously indeed.’

The Chase Celebrity special airs today at 5pm on ITV.

 


Credit: Original article published here.

Related posts

Greg Davies leaves Never Mind The Buzzcocks panel speechless as he ‘butchers’ Ms Banks fashion range

John Turner

Below Deck season 9: Captain Lee’s replacement riles up Eddie Lucas as new series kicks off

John Turner

Strictly Come Dancing star Johannes Radebe says he’s ‘stopped all the time’ by police

John Turner
%d bloggers like this: