The Duchess Of Sussex made a number of bombshell revelations during her tell-all chat, including how she doesn’t read the tabloid news stories written about her but instead hears coverage from her close friends.
Television personality McCain, however, argued that this conflicts with Markle’s formal complaint against Morgan’s comments on Good Morning Britain before he quit the programme last week.
Speaking on Tuesday’s episode of The View, McCain said: ‘I am also a free speech advocate, I am an opinion host with very controversial opinions.
‘And it’s a very foreign and Wild West concept that you can have an opinion and be cancelled for it.
‘But I do think when you’re talking about decorum, of kindness and talking of mental health – there was huge outrage with over 41 ,000 complaints given to Good Morning Britain, which was the show he hosted.’
She continued: ‘This is a really tricky one for me because any kind of censorship makes me uncomfortable.
‘I think anyone who makes their living off giving their opinions, especially when they’re not popular, feels that way.
‘That being said it’s cruel and unkind to second guess someone who is being very open about their mental health issues.’
McCain added: ‘Meghan Markle herself put in a formal complaint against Piers Morgan.
‘The only thing I have to say about that is Meghan Markle said in her interview, the only thing that I questioned, she said she didn’t read her press and she didn’t read her publicity. She’s clearly paying attention to her publicity if she’s putting in a formal complaint.’
Markle is said to have complained to ITV after Morgan told Good Morning Britain viewers that he didn’t believe her mental health struggles.
The complaint is understood to focus on how Morgan’s comments may affect the issue of mental health generally and those attempting to deal with their own problems.
Morgan stood by his remarks, however, and speaking to press outside his London home following his exit from the show, he said: ‘If I have to fall on my sword for expressing an honestly-held opinion about Meghan Markle and that diatribe of bilge that she came out with in that interview, so be it.’
Harry and Meghan’s Oprah interview: Key moments
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have spoken to Oprah Winfrey in a bombshell interview about their decision to step back as senior working members of the Royal Family.
- Meghan says it was Kate who made her cry over flower girls, not other way round
- Meghan says Harry was told there were ‘concerns how dark’ Archie would be
- Harry and Meghan reveal the gender of their baby due in summer
- Meghan sobs as she says pressures of royal life drove her to the verge of suicide
- Prince Charles stopped taking Harry’s calls after he quit Royal Family
- Harry says Meghan saved him from being ‘trapped’ like Prince Charles and Prince William are
- Princess Diana would be ‘sad and angry about how this has panned out’
- Meghan and Harry share adorable new video of son Archie at the beach
- Harry confirms terrible rift with William and says their relationship is now just ‘space’
- Queen ‘ghosted Harry during Megxit talks and got aide to say she was too busy’