Piers Morgan and Simon Cowell have had discussions about teaming up for a television project, according to reports.
It’s been claimed that before the 55-year-old presenter quit Good Morning Britain on Tuesday, the two friends talked about the possibility of working together while on their three-hour walk.
Piers left the ITV breakfast show after an on-air row with colleague Alex Beresford, who criticised him for ‘continuing to trash’ Meghan Markle after earlier this week saying he ‘didn’t believe a word’ of the Duchess of Sussex’s Oprah Winfrey interview.
Last night, a source close to Simon, said: ‘During their three-hour walk, Piers and Simon discussed the possibility of working together, and the hope is that Piers will come on board.’
They continued to The Sun: ‘The format needs shaking up, and obviously Piers has form with this.’
Simon and Piers were pictured enjoying a lockdown stroll together last week.
The pair have been friends for years, with the former Good Morning Britain presenter starring on the first season of America’s Got Talent in 2006. He then went on to sit on the Britain’s Got Talent judging panel for four series.
Reflecting on their lengthy catch-up, Piers wrote in his Mail Online column: ‘Our chat was surprisingly profound. We talked about friendship, family, work, loyalty… and disloyalty; about people we’ve eliminated from our lives, for a variety of reasons, and people we now value even more.’
After returning to their separate homes in the Notting Hill area, Piers’ wife Celia Walden wondered: ‘That was a long walk. What on earth did you talk about?’
‘Everything,’ Piers replied. ‘That was the best conversation we’ve ever had.’
It’s understood that Meghan complained to ITV about Piers before his departure from the programme on Tuesday.
Since leaving the show, the presenter has repeated his comments about the Duchess.
‘If I have to fall on my sword for expressing an honestly-held opinion about Meghan Markle and that diatribe of bilge that she came out with in that interview, so be it,’ he told reporters outside his house.
Harry and Meghan’s Oprah interview: Key moments
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have spoken to Oprah Winfrey in a bombshell interview about their decision to step back as senior working members of the Royal Family.
Here are the key points from the interview, which UK viewers can watch at 9pm on ITV on Monday, March 8.
- Meghan says it was Kate who made her cry over flower girls, not other way round
- Meghan says Harry was told there were ‘concerns how dark’ Archie would be
- Harry and Meghan reveal the gender of their baby due in summer
- Meghan sobs as she says pressures of royal life drove her to the verge of suicide
- Prince Charles stopped taking Harry’s calls after he quit Royal Family
- Harry says Meghan saved him from being ‘trapped’ like Prince Charles and Prince William are
- Princess Diana would be ‘sad and angry about how this has panned out’
- Meghan and Harry share adorable new video of son Archie at the beach
- Harry confirms terrible rift with William and says their relationship is now just ‘space’
- Queen ‘ghosted Harry during Megxit talks and got aide to say she was too busy’