It’s quite clear how Stephen Colbert feels about Piers Morgan’s exit from Good Morning Britain, with the US show host dubbing the journalist a ‘spotted dick’ and a ‘baby’ as he celebrated overnight.
Should you have been burying your head in the sand the past 24 hours (don’t blame you, really) you may have missed Piers quit the ITV flagship show after 41,000 Ofcom complaints were lodged following his thoughts on Meghan Markle’s interview with Oprah.
The journalist said on the programme (and doubled down today) he ‘didn’t believe’ the duchess’s comments on feeling suicidal while she was a part of the Royal family in the UK, which caused the ire of thousands who took issue with his statement.
As people all around the world reacted to the news, Stephen dubbed today a ‘great morning Britain’ on his show overnight as he recounted Piers’s comments in regards to Meghan for his viewers.
Describing the presenter as a ‘TV organism’, and a ‘spotted dick’, Stephen went hard on Piers not believing Meghan’s interview.
He also zoned in on the interaction with former colleague Alex Beresford, with the weatherman calling out Piers ‘trashing’ Meghan after she ‘cut him off’, which prompted Piers to storm off set.
While he ‘cooled down’ and returned to the desk eventually, hours later the press release went out revealing he had quit the show.
Stephen went on: ‘As much as Piers loves to dish out the criticism, he sure can’t take it. Piers Morgan is such a baby, someone at Buckingham Palace just asked what colour he’s going to be.’
He said: ‘Piers didn’t just storm off the set in slow-motion twit snit. He stormed off the whole damn show. Because a few hours ago, his network announced, “Piers Morgan has decided now is the time to leave Good Morning Britain.”
‘Congratulations, tomorrow’s going to be a great morning Britain.’
The journalist’s exit from GMB has been today’s major talking point, with many a celebrity celebrating his departure, as well as mourning it – or, in the case of BBC Breakfast’s Dan Walker, perhaps enjoying trolling the moment.
Stars in the States are no exception, with Chelsea Handler branding Piers an ‘a**hole’ as she shared their heated exchange when he interviewed her on his CNN show in the US.
The comedian posted a 2014 clip of her clashing with Piers, writing: ‘Some a**hole’s get better. Some just stay the same.’
Piers’ exit from Good Morning Britain comes after he had been under fire since Monday’s episode where he condemned Meghan’s comments in her and Prince Harry’s bombshell interview with Oprah.
Since leaving the show, the presenter admitted that he still ‘doesn’t believe’ anything Meghan said in the interview. He has also promised he’ll be back, after being ‘cancelled’ by the ‘woke crowd’.
Harry and Meghan’s Oprah interview: Key moments
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have spoken to Oprah Winfrey in a bombshell interview about their decision to step back as senior working members of the Royal Family.
Here are the key points from the interview, which UK viewers can watch at 9pm on ITV on Monday, March 8.
- Meghan says it was Kate who made her cry over flower girls, not other way round
- Meghan says Harry was told there were ‘concerns how dark’ Archie would be
- Harry and Meghan reveal the gender of their baby due in summer
- Meghan sobs as she says pressures of royal life drove her to the verge of suicide
- Prince Charles stopped taking Harry’s calls after he quit Royal Family
- Harry says Meghan saved him from being ‘trapped’ like Prince Charles and Prince William are
- Princess Diana would be ‘sad and angry about how this has panned out’
- Meghan and Harry share adorable new video of son Archie at the beach
- Harry confirms terrible rift with William and says their relationship is now just ‘space’
- Queen ‘ghosted Harry during Megxit talks and got aide to say she was too busy’