The boxer and professional dancer made history as the first same-sex pairing on the show.
But they have now pulled out of the competition after Katya tested positive for coronavirus – with the pair now self-isolating separately to follow the government guidelines.
Nicola revealed she was ‘devastated’ at the way she had left the series – after being tipped to win the show.
Speaking of her early exit, the athlete said in a statement: ‘Hey guys! I’m absolutely devastated my Strictly journey has come to an end so soon.
‘I had so much more to give and so many people to win this for!
‘But I just want to say a huge thank you to Katya for being the best dance partner anyone could ask for. She pushed me way out of my comfort zone and it’s been an incredible experience.’
Nicola also joked that she would be spending her time in isolation posting all the TikToks – which we are already excited for.
‘I’m gutted to be out of the competition but in these unprecedented times and as frustrating as it is, the COVID measures in place are to keep everyone safe, and I’m doing what I can to help,’ she added.
‘I’ll be spending the next 14 days isolating so I’d like to apologise in advance for the ridiculous amount of TikToks I’ll be posting, in my new found free time when I’m not gaming!’
Katya also addressed the news in a statement, heaping praise on her dance partner for her energy over the last few weeks.
‘Dancing with Nicola has been an absolute inspiration. She’s given her all each and every week and we were so excited to create more dances in the competition,’ she said.
‘Of course, I’m devastated to leave this way but I’ve made a friend for life and loved every moment of this special journey. I’d like to wish good luck to all the remaining couples!’
While Strictly Come Dancing Executive Producer Sarah James added: ‘We are incredibly sad that these unfortunate circumstances mean that Nicola and Katya are unable to continue on Strictly.
‘They are a brilliant partnership and had already achieved so much during their time on the show.
‘We’d like to thank them for their commitment and although their time in the competition has sadly come to an end we are hopeful that there will be opportunities for them to dance again in the future.’
BBC added that rest of the cast are unaffected and the show will continue this Saturday night on BBC One.
Nicola has been delighting viewers with her skills on the dance floor ever since the series kicked off, last month.
However, she had a tough time of it in movie week, ending up in the dance off with Jason Bell.
Judges opted to save the boxer, meaning Jason was sent home.
Katya also teased that they had a strenuous routine for this weekend’s show, with the pro dancer revealing she was ‘bruised’ from rehearsals.
Appearing on Strictly Come Dancing spin-off It Takes Two, she lifted the lid on how their American smooth was coming along.
‘We’re really enjoying it. It’s nice to have time to work on extensions, arms and just breathing together… my arms are a little bit bruised from lifts,’ she told host Zoe Ball.
To which the presenter predicted: ‘If you’ve got bruises from the lifts, they’re going to be phenomenal.’
Strictly Come Dancing continues on Saturday, at 7.10pm, on BBC One.
Credit: Original article published here.