Bosses have confirmed that the boxer was pulled from the line-up when the professional dancer tested positive for coronavirus.
The pair are now self-isolating separately to follow the government guidelines, with Saturday’s show going ahead as normal.
Viewers have now called for Jason’s return with partner Luba Mushtuk, after they were eliminated last week during the dance-off with Nicola and Katya.
Visit our live blog for the latest updates Coronavirus news live
‘Can we get Jason & Luba back please? #strictly,’ one begged on Twitter.
‘I’m so gutted they should definitely have Nicola come back next year and dance with Katya again,’ another said. ‘Also they should bring Jason back if he hasn’t left his bubble yet #Strictly.’
A Twitter user agreed: ‘PETITION TO ALLOW @JasonBell33 and @LubaMushtuk BACK IN STRICTLY AS @Mrs_katjones AND @NicolaAdamsOBE HAVE TO PULL OUT!!!
‘We loved Jason on the show #StrictlyComeDancing @bbcstrictly.’
However, it is unlikely that the American footballer will be back on the dance floor as bosses don’t invite past contestants back as a rule.
A similar situation arose last year when Will Bayley and Janette Manrara were forced to withdraw from the series – and Catherine Tyldesley and Johannes Radebe were not reinstated.
What will this mean for the Strictly final?
Strictly bosses insisted that the rest of the cast are unaffected, meaning the show will be continuing as normal.
The next episode will air on Saturday evening.
They have not addressed what Nicola and Katya’s departure will mean for next month’s final, and whether anything will be changed.
Why did Nicola and Katya leave Strictly?
Nicola and Katya were pulled from the line-up after the professional dancer tested positive for coronavirus.
As part of the protocols, they were unable to continue in the competition.
Speaking about her exit in a statement, the athlete said: ‘Hey guys! I’m absolutely devastated my Strictly journey has come to an end so soon. I had so much more to give and so many people to win this for!
‘But I just want to say a huge thank you to Katya for being the best dance partner anyone could ask for. She pushed me way out of my comfort zone and it’s been an incredible experience. I’m gutted to be out of the competition but in these unprecedented times and as frustrating as it is, the COVID measures in place are to keep everyone safe, and I’m doing what I can to help.
‘I’ll be spending the next 14 days isolating so I’d like to apologise in advance for the ridiculous amount of TikToks I’ll be posting, in my new found free time when I’m not gaming!’
Katya added: ‘Dancing with Nicola has been an absolute inspiration. She’s given her all each and every week and we were so excited to create more dances in the competition.
‘Of course, I’m devastated to leave this way but I’ve made a friend for life and loved every moment of this special journey. I’d like to wish good luck to all the remaining couples!’
Will they come back for another series?
‘She’s hoping her Strictly dream is not over,’ a source close to Nicola told the Mail Online. ‘There’s lots of hurdles to overcome but if it’s possible she can compete with Katya in the 2021 series, Nicola will want to make it happen.’
Sarah James, Strictly Come Dancing Executive Producer also said: ‘They are a brilliant partnership and had already achieved so much during their time on the show.
‘We’d like to thank them for their commitment and although their time in the competition has sadly come to an end we are hopeful that there will be opportunities for them to dance again in the future.’
Metro.co.uk has contacted BBC for a comment.
Strictly Come Dancing continues on Saturday, at 7.10, on BBC One.
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us firstname.lastname@example.org, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.