My Celebrity Life

Strictly Come Dancing 2021: Anton Du Beke warns it could be the ‘end of the show’ if Covid spreads through the cast

Anton Du Beke has warned that Strictly Come Dancing 2021 could be shut down if Covid-19 spreads through the cast, saying that it would be the ‘end of the show’.

This Saturday, the new series of Strictly is set to kick off on BBC One after last week’s launch show, with the couples taking to the dancefloor with their individual routines for the first time.

Over the past few days, controversy has surrounded the show amid the reports that three professional dancers have refused to have the coronavirus vaccine.

In a statement released online, the BBC said it is ‘not our place’ to comment nor confirm the vaccination status of anyone on Strictly, emphasising that there are ‘strict procedures’ in place to protect everyone on the programme.

During an appearance on Good Morning Britain on Friday, judge Anton said that he doesn’t ‘know anything about’ the claims of unvaccinated dancers, as he is ‘not involved’ in the professional dancer group anymore.

However, he added that ‘if it’s anything like last year, everybody is tested every week anyway, everybody is bubbling as they are and everyone’s keeping distance, and everyone’s wearing face masks in the studio’.

My Celebrity Life –
Anton has warned what could happen if Covid cases spread (Picture: Ken McKay/ITV)
My Celebrity Life –
Anton is joining as the fourth judge for the whole seires (Picture: Guy Levy/BBC)

Anton said that while coronavirus restrictions might have eased around the country, because Strictly wants to avoid any incidents, ‘they’re treating it as though we are sort of still in the grip of the pandemic and it’s all taken very seriously and everyone’s doing exactly what they should, in line with the government’.

He said that last year, when Nicola Adams and Katya Jones had to withdraw from the show due to a positive Covid-19 test, it was an ‘isolated situation’.

My Celebrity Life –
The partners for the celebrities were announced last week (Picture: Ray Burmiston/BBC)

However, if the virus were to spread among more people on the show, it could mean that the series has to draw to a close prematurely, he said.

‘That was an isolated situation last year, now the worry of course is, if you get one of those you can sort of survive, but if you get something that spreads through the group, that’s the end of the show,’ he said.

‘Everyone’s worked too hard for this and everybody wants the show to work, the viewers and everybody involved in the show.’

It has been reported that the professional dancer on Strictly who tested positive for Covid-19 earlier this month is set to take to the dancefloor with their partner on Saturday evening.

‘Strictly producers will be breathing a huge sigh of relief at this news,’ an insider told The Sun.

‘They were hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst, and already had another pro waiting in the wings if the test came back positive.’

Good Morning Britain airs weekdays from 6am on ITV and Strictly Come Dancing returns on Saturday at 7pm on BBC One.

 


Credit: Original article published here.

Related posts

Reason behind Y: The Last Man cancellation finally revealed

John Turner

Doctor Who Flux: Series 13 to begin with The Halloween Apocalypse as Jodie Whittaker returns

John Turner

Alex Jones confirms return to The One Show after maternity leave

John Turner
%d bloggers like this: