My Celebrity Life

Strictly Come Dancing 2021: Dan Walker ‘relieved’ Ugo Monye was sent home after injury

My Celebrity Life –
Ugo left the show on Sunday evening (Picture: BBC)

Strictly Come Dancing 2021 star Dan Walker has said that he is ‘relieved’ that Ugo Monye was sent home on Sunday night, as it will give him a chance to recover from his back injury.

Judges Craig Revel Horwood, Motsi Mabuse, Anton Du Beke and Shirley Ballas were left unimpressed with the former England rugby international’s routines over the weekend and he left the programme last night.

Ugo, who was partnered with professional dancer Oti Mabuse, previously pulled out of the show under medical advice for a week after his ‘history of back problems’ started to cause issues.

Now, co-star Dan has spoken about Ugo’s exit – telling BBC Breakfast that he was ‘relieved’ Ugo would be able to go home and recover properly from his injuries.

‘In some ways, I’m glad that he doesn’t have to dance anymore because I don’t want him to get hurt,’ he said.

‘He’s been brilliant,’ Dan added: ‘And Oti’s done a great job with him.’

My Celebrity Life –
Dan spoke after Ugo’s exit last night (Picture: BBC)

‘Ugo’s had all sorts of back problems during his career. He was fit to do the programme, but some of the stuff… it is a strain on your body.’

Ugo previously sparked concern from viewers after announcing he’d been forced to miss a show due to his recurring back problems.

The rugby star, who is partnered up with professional dancer Oti Mabuse, announced the news in a statement.

‘Unfortunately I’m not going to be able to dance this weekend on the show,’ he wrote in a letter to fans.

My Celebrity Life –
Ugo has struggled with back injuries throughout this career (Picture: BBC)

‘I have a history of back problems which has always been managed under the guidance of medical professionals. Unfortunately this has been causing me some unwanted problems this week!’

He continued: ‘I have been advised by medical professionals and with huge support from Strictly to get some treatment & rest to ensure that I can get myself back to full capacity & fighting fit for next week.’

It comes after Ugo became the fourth celebrity to be eliminated from the 2021 series after facing Rhys Stephenson in the dance-off.

After being voted off, Ugo said about his time on the show: ‘I’ve loved it. It’s an absolute privilege to be on this show and all I’ve wanted to do every week is just get a little bit better and I’ve done that.

‘There’s lots of people that I would love to say thank you to. Oti, firstly, just for putting up with me. She said she wanted a challenge and she got one! To everyone else that’s in the competition, it’s truly incredible and I wish you all the very best of luck.’

He added: ‘To the judges – Craig – I think it’s really important to say that if you’re willing to accept the positive comments, you have to accept the criticism as well so thank you for all of your comments.’

Strictly Come Dancing continues on Saturday night at 7.15pm on BBC One. BBC Breakfast airs on weekdays at 6am on BBC One.

 


Credit: Original article published here.

Related posts

Channel 4 apologises for more technical issues after Countdown is cancelled

John Turner

Jimmy Carr will learn how to be less mean in new Channel 4 series that gives celebrities an image makeover

John Turner

I’m A Celebrity 2021: Ratings plummet below 5million for first time since 2014

John Turner
%d bloggers like this: