After months of speculation over who will compete in Strictly this year, fans are finally being told the first celebs who will show off their moves in front of the judges alongside their professional dancers.
The announcement of the first three stars to join the cast was made on Wednesday evening on The One Show, after judge Shirley Ballas teased a line-up of competitors that viewers have ‘never seen’ before.
First to be unveiled was Tom, whose wife Giovanna Fletcher became the very first Queen of the Castle on I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! last year.
Speaking to Alex Jones and Amol Rajan, he said that it’s been ‘so hard’ keeping his stint on a Strictly a secret.
Saying that he felt ‘equal parts excited and terrified’, he added that he feels ‘naked without a guitar’ as he’s ‘so used to standing with a guitar on stage’.
We know that Tom, 36, is naturally musically-inclined, what with his vocal talent and fantastic skills on multiple instruments, but how will he fare when he dons his dancing shoes?
McFly drummer Harry Judd won Strictly 10 years ago in 2011, so we’ll just have to wait and see if Tom can emulate his band mate’s success!
Tom shared that his friend has already given him lots of advice, saying that he ‘can’t shut Harry up about Strictly’.
The second celebrity announced was Robert Webb, a comedian, actor and writer who makes up one half of the double act Mitchell and Webb with David Mitchell.
He said that it’s ‘very exciting with a slight undertone of quivering’ to compete on the show, adding: ‘Did I ever expect it? It was always gonna happen.’
Will another comedian win Strictly as Robert prepares to compete on the show? (Picture: BBC)
Robert, 48, starred in Peep Show with David, in addition to also appearing in the sketch comedy programme That Mitchell and Webb Look.
Robert does have some experience of dancing on TV, having won the 2009 series Let’s Dance for Comic Relief, during which he performed a spoof of a dance from the 80s classic Flashdance.
If we’re being perfectly honest, we’re definitely hoping for a reenactment on the Strictly dancefloor.
In 2020, Strictly Come Dancing was delayed due to the Covid-19 pandemic, with only 12 celebrities competing.
However, it’s expected that the BBC programme will return to being a full series this year with 15 stars in total.
While some stars of the show have now been revealed, the rumour mill is still churning as fans try to predict who will be next in line.
After Nicola Adams and Katya Jones competed in the first ever same-sex partnership on Strictly in 2020, it has also been speculated that a male celebrity might be partnered up with a male dancer for this year’s competition.
Last year, comedian Bill Bailey became the oldest winner in Strictly history as he raised the Glitterball Trophy with his partner, Oti Mabuse.
Their triumph marked a second consecutive win for Oti, who was also victorious the previous year with former Emmerdale star Kelvin Fletcher.
More to follow.
Strictly Come Dancing will return to BBC One later this year.
Credit: Original article published here.