My Celebrity Life

Strictly Come Dancing ‘hoping to land Andrew Neil, 72, for 2021 series’ as broadcaster takes break from GB News

Strictly Come Dancing are said to be keen on getting Andrew Neil on the show (Picture : GB News/BBC)

Strictly Come Dancing is reportedly hoping to get GB News anchor and co-founder Andrew Neil on the show for 2021, just as the star takes a break from his news channel weeks after it launched.

Now the broadcaster, 72, will have some time on his hands he might be able to fit in some dance lessons, a fake tan and a turn on the Strictly dancefloor if the rumours are to be believed.

Strictly has so far only confirmed the professional dancers and judges for 2021 with the celebrity contestants yet to be revealed.

It would be the second time the BBC show has apparently approached Neil who is said to have declined a spot four years ago – maybe this year they will get their man?

‘Andrew was flattered by the request from Strictly and thinks the idea of him prancing around a ballroom in sequins is hilarious. He was asked to take part in the show four years ago, too, but turned it down,’ a source spilled to The Sun.

‘Now his mates are trying to persuade him to accept. It will at least keep him in the public eye and help to promote his profile. It’s not often he ventures away from serious news projects and he has a lot on his plate.

‘Strictly has become the number one show for so many political figures and Andrew is one of the biggest names.’

The BBC declined to comment when contacted by Metro.co.uk.

Neil reportedly turned Strictly down four years ago (Picture: ITV)

Neil recently announced on air he would be stepping back from GB News which has been blighted by technical difficulties since it launched on June 13.

Closing his show, he told viewers: ‘That’s it for tonight and from me for the next few weeks.

‘But I leave you in the safe and professional hands of Colin Brazier.’

He did add that he would be back before the summer is out ‘and when you least expect it’ (maybe to announce his Strictly signing? We kid.)

The news follows claims Strictly have decided to ditch the ‘age ban’ and welcome the over-60s for the new series.

An alleged ‘age ban’ was implemented in 2020 in light of the pandemic, with bosses keen to protect vulnerable groups.

Comedian Bill Bailey and his dance partner Oti Mabuse won the series last year, with the star being the oldest-ever winner at 55.

Actress Caroline Quentin, who took part with Johannes Radebe, also took part in 2020 at the age of 60.


Credit: Original article published here.

Related posts

Strictly Come Dancing’s unvaxxed stars ‘hire lawyers to protect their identity’

John Turner

Sex Education fans reckon Asa Butterfield and Mimi Keene might be dating in real life

John Turner

No Time To Die’s Lashana Lynch on ‘pushing the needle’ with representation as she books place in Bond history

John Turner
%d bloggers like this: