My Celebrity Life

Strictly Come Dancing’s Anton Du Beke was rejected as judge when Len Goodman left

Strictly Come Dancing professional dancer Anton Du Beke has revealed that he auditioned to become a judge when Len Goodman left… but was turned down.

During the 2020 series of Strictly, Anton temporarily took Motsi Mabuse’s place as a judge when she was forced to miss a couple of weeks of the live shows following an emergency trip to Germany.

Following his debut, several fans impressed with his judging skills called for him to become a permanent part of the panel.

However, Anton did previously try to transition from Strictly dancer to judge, unfortunately to no avail.

While speaking on talk show Steph’s Packed Lunch this week, Anton, 54, said that when former head judge Len, 76, exited the programme in 2016, he auditioned to replace him.

‘You know what they say about you lose more than you win,’ he said. ‘When Len left Strictly Come Dancing, they interviewed and auditioned a number of people to take over from Len. I auditioned for it and I got turned down.’

Eventually, it was announced that Shirley Ballas would become the new head judge on the talent show.

Nonetheless, Strictly was more than willing to turn to Anton for a helping hand when they needed him in Motsi’s absence, Steph McGovern pointed out.

‘Well I don’t like to brag!’ Anton replied, laughing.

At the end of the day, Anton emphasised that if you are rejected from something, it ‘doesn’t mean it’s the end’.

Instead, ‘it just means you go, “Well ok, I can go again!”,’ he stated.

My Celebrity Life –
Len was head judge on Strictly for 12 years (Picture: BBC)

Four years later, Anton was able to demonstrate his judging chops, much to the delight of Strictly viewers across the nation.

Len was head judge on Strictly from 2004 until 2016 and on Dancing with the Stars in the US from 2005 until 2019.

While Anton has numerous fans, one person who recently professed her admiration for the dancer was overnight online sensation Jackie Weaver, who shot to fame when her chaotic Handforth Parish Council meeting recently went viral.

During an appearance on BBC Breakfast this morning, she said: ‘I am so chuffed that I’ve been invited to meet, on the screen, Anton Du Beke on Monday. That has just made my world.’

Jackie added that she isn’t keen on taking part in Strictly any time soon, stating: ‘No, just totally as a passenger,’ before mischievously adding: ‘I just want to look at him,’ in reference to Anton.

Steph’s Packed Lunch airs weekdays at 12.30pm on Channel 4.

 


Credit: Original article published here.

Related posts

Only Connect: Is Victoria Coren Mitchell a poker player and how much has she won?

John Turner

The Trick: Who is in the cast of new BBC film and what time is it on?

John Turner

Succession fans can now enjoy a ‘Greg the egg’ adult toy while watching season 3

John Turner
%d bloggers like this: