The Crown star Josh O’Connor has branded the Culture Secretary’s calls to add a disclaimer to the Netflix drama as ‘outrageous’ and described the move as a ‘low blow’.
The fourth season of the acclaimed show arrived last month and has been in the headlines since, attracting criticism for allegedly not doing enough to ensure viewers know it is a work of fiction.
Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden proposed for the TV series to air a warning message telling viewers that its content is fictitious, however, Netflix won’t be following suit.
‘We were slightly let down by our Culture Secretary, whose job it is to encourage culture,’ Josh told the LA Times’ The Envelope podcast in response.
‘In my opinion, it’s pretty outrageous that he came out and said what he said.
‘Particularly in this time when he knows that the arts are struggling and they’re on their knees, I think it’s a bit of a low blow.’
Josh, who portrays a young Charles in the show, said viewers are aware The Crown is a work of fiction.
‘My personal view is that audiences understand,’ he continued. ‘You have to show them the respect and understand that they’re intelligent enough to see it for what it is, which is pure fiction.’
Mr Dowden called for The Crown to add disclaimers before each episode to highlight the events of the show are not real-life.
‘It’s a beautifully produced work of fiction, so as with other TV productions, Netflix should be very clear at the beginning it is just that,’ he told the Mail on Sunday in November.
‘Without this, I fear a generation of viewers who did not live through these events may mistake fiction for fact.’
The Crown is available to stream on Netflix.
Credit: Original article published here.