The Masked Singer has officially unmasked its fourth celebrity, with Bagpipes being revealed as tennis legend Pat Cash.
Pat, 56, enjoyed the thought that he could just focus on himself with the singing, but described it as a nerve-wracking experience.
Asked why he decided to appear on the show, Pat said: ‘I’ve always been a frustrated rock star and fancied doing The Masked Singer from the first day I saw it.
‘I just thought it would be so much fun to rock out, although I prefer to hide behind a guitar instead of a sweaty mask. It was a great experience overall. As luck would have it, my schedule cleared. I’m a big believer in letting your higher power take over and I suppose it meant I was able to take part in the show.’
He added: ‘One of the biggest clues was in my second song “Teenage Dirtbag”. The guys in Iron Maiden are great friends of mine, have been for 30 plus years and the lyrics say, “listen to Iron Maiden baby with me.”
‘I’m surprised no one picked that up. However, there was a clearer clue about “climbing the heights of my career”. The “climbing” was about my famous or infamous climb out of the arena to celebrate with the support team. I was the first athlete to do this. It’s something I’m very proud of and is still extremely emotional to this day.’
Some of the clues included references to Pat being given a guitar strap by Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick, and a reference to his blog, Straight Talking.
There was also a giveaway clue that plenty of fans spotted in the VT, while another recalled the time he played guitar with Ronnie Wood of the Rolling Stones.
What were the clues?
- The VT came from Edinburgh Castle
- Might be known for having started a tradition
- Is no stranger to an instrument
- Has a ‘bit of Scottish’ in their past
- The name Annette was attached to a toy dog
- ‘Not going to be as easy as ACDC’
- Could be sporting a fake Scottish accent
- Played a ‘wee tune with a tumbling rock’ (a Rolling Stone?)
- The thing they’re known for isn’t their first love
- Being healthy is important to them
- A ‘cards not accepted’ sign
- Two lies and a truth
- I’ve been known to question your sincerity
- My name stood at 45 feet stall
- A guitar strap became what I’m known for
- Their ‘It’s Not Me, It’s You’ stand-off with Poodle saw them claim: ‘Roses are red, violets are blue, I’d read on clouds just to make it to you.’
- Meanwhile, Poodle claimed: ‘Roses are red, violets are blue, guitars are my passion, let me show them to you.’
The Masked Singer returns Saturday at 7pm on ITV.