X Factor presenter Dermot O’Leary has delivered a blow for fans of the show, ruling out the return of the competition next year.
The presenter said that he had ‘no idea’ when the programme would be back on our screens, but confirmed that it would ‘definitely’ not be in 2021.
Speaking on Sunday Brunch, Dermot said it’ll be 2022 in the earliest when he returns to host the show, due to the effects of the coronavirus pandemic.
When asked when fans can expect him back presenting the show, the 47-year-old said: ‘If I knew, I’d tell you, because I’d be happy. I’ve no idea!’
Dermot also stressed that the logistics that go into organising the public auditions, travel preparations for the judges’ houses stage and arena performances make it incredibly difficult to plan the series during a pandemic.
The future of the series was previously put in doubt after Simon Cowell confirmed plans to ‘rest the series’ back in February. Last year saw two different versions of the show, with X Factor: Celebrity and X Factor: The Band, however neither achieved ratings that the series used to.
‘It’s got the turning circle of a car ferry. There’s a lot of planning that goes into it,’ Dermot said.
‘It definitely won’t be next year, so it will probably be back in 2022.’
Simon Cowell suffered a broken back after falling from his electric bike. Dermot said he’s ‘getting better, slowly by surely’.
Dermot has presented The X Factor since 2007, when he took over from Kate Thornton. He was briefly replaced by Olly Murs and Caroline Flack for the 2015, but returned the following year.
Sunday Brunch airs on Sundays at 9.30am on Channel 4.
Credit: Original article published here.