Trisha Goddard issued a scathing takedown of Piers Morgan in a tense debate about Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s interview, arguing the presenter might understand the Duchess’ ordeal if his own sons were to marry a Black woman.
The talk show host appeared on Good Morning Britain on Monday to discuss Meghan’s claims of racism from within the Royal family.
Piers, who had earlier stated that he ‘didn’t believe’ any of Meghan’s comments to Oprah Winfrey, told Trisha: ‘If you tried to invent a show that had all this, you’d reject it as being too outlandish.’
Susanna Reid suggested: ‘Well, you’d call it The Crown.’
However, Trisha took aim at Piers and hit back: ‘Honestly, I wouldn’t. The name of the show would be “bullying”, Piers and I’m afraid you’d be the star.’
‘Really? Not Meghan Markle who drove out the female staff with her bullying, or does that not count?’ Piers argued.
Trisha then said: ‘Piers, listening to you this morning I’m saddened. You know what I wish for you? I wish for you only really wonderful things. I hope that one of your sons meets a beautiful Black woman and gets married to them and you will understand.’
Piers is father to three boys; Spencer, 27, Stanley, 23, Albert, 20, from his first marriage to Marion Shalloe.
Not backing down, Piers claimed: ‘Actually I would love that. Why would I have a problem with that? Why does every criticism of these two have to be framed as racism?
‘I’d also like to have her bullying investigated. The bullying that no one seems to want to take seriously.’
Susanna reminded Piers that Buckingham Palace are investigating the allegations that Meghan bullied staff members during her time as a working member of the Royal family.
Pressing the issue of racism further, Piers wondered: ‘What you’re saying is any context in which that conversation happened is automatically racist?’
Trisha then schooled him on racism from a Black person’s perspective and said: ‘It only takes one straw to break the camel’s back and what gets me is why everybody else is such an expert about racism against Black people.
‘I’m sorry Piers. You don’t get to call out what is and isn’t racism against Black people.
‘You can call out all the other stuff, I’ll leave you to call out all the other stuff you want but leave the racism to us, eh?’
Earlier in the show, Piers got into another heated debate with Dr Shola Mos-Shogbamimu who branded him a ‘disgrace’ for his comments about Meghan.
Good Morning Britain airs weekdays at 6am on ITV.
Harry and Meghan’s Oprah interview: Key moments
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have spoken to Oprah Winfrey in a bombshell interview about their decision to step back as senior working members of the Royal Family.
Here are the key points from the interview, which UK viewers can watch at 9pm on ITV on Monday, March 8.
- Meghan says it was Kate who made her cry over flower girls, not other way round
- Meghan says Harry was told there were ‘concerns how dark’ Archie would be
- Harry and Meghan reveal the gender of their baby due in summer
- Meghan sobs as she says pressures of royal life drove her to the verge of suicide
- Prince Charles stopped taking Harry’s calls after he quit Royal Family
- Harry says Meghan saved him from being ‘trapped’ like Prince Charles and Prince William are
- Princess Diana would be ‘sad and angry about how this has panned out’ says Harry’
- Meghan and Harry share adorable new video of son Archie at the beach
- Harry confirms terrible rift with William and says their relationship is now just ‘space’