Rylan Clark has claimed that he was ‘devastated’ when he was not asked back to Big Brother as a presenter, despite ‘presuming’ he would continue his legacy on the iconic reality programme.
The former X Factor judge, who won Celebrity Big Brother in 2013, followed in Davina McCall‘s footsteps by hosting Big Brother’s Bit on the Side until 2018.
While many speculated that Rylan would reprise his position for the relaunch, the new presenters have been confirmed to be AJ Odudu and Will Best.
Former It Takes Two presenter Rylan expressed his disappointment at not being able to be a part of the show.
‘Obviously Big Brother was a major part of my life, it was my favourite thing in the world to do,’ the 34-year-old stated on Tuesday’s Loose Women.
‘For the past five years, since it’s been off I’ve been very vocal saying it should come back.
‘In my eyes, it was and still is the best reality show out there, the real reality show.
‘And at that point I didn’t know what was going on with Big Brother and I said very much that I hope I’m a part of it.
‘I suppose naively and stupidly, to a point, I just thought I’ve been there for six – nearly seven – years, I mean I’ve got a Diary Room built in my house, I love the show so much.’
Rylan went on: ‘I just sillily presumed I’d be asked back, I knew Emma wasn’t going back, she’s a good friend of mine, and I wasn’t, it didn’t transpire to be.
‘I could one of those people now that sits there and goes, “It’s what I wanted.” It wasn’t what I wanted.
‘I would’ve gone back to Big Brother in a heartbeat, and it was quite difficult actually, because I didn’t find out until near on when everyone else found out, which I was quite upset about.’
He added: ‘But I genuinely, hand on heart, wish everyone well because I wanted that show to come back for a long time.
‘But from a personal point of view I was devastated.’
Rylan agreed with Janet Street-Porter that he must have been devastated, emphasising how significant a part of his life it had been/
This comes after AJ, 35, disclosed the guidance she received from former Davina, who hosted the original series from 2000 to 2010.
‘The Queen herself has given me her blessing,’ she said.
‘She sent me an amazing video when I got the gig saying “you are going to smash it”,’ AJ added.
AJ also discussed her career and disappointments in the interview with Grazia, including getting fired from the Big Brother spin-off series, which she presented for a few months alongside Rylan, and being replaced by Loose Women panellist Carol McGiffin in 2013.
Explaining how she had ‘clawed her way back’ after ‘so much rejection’, AJ said she had come far and was ‘proud’ of herself after previously facing a period where she didn’t want to ‘get out of bed’.
‘I’ve clawed my way back without being horrible, just by working hard and being myself. Back then I didn’t even want to get out of my bed,’ she shared.
‘I fell into a deep depression because TV just wasn’t going my way.
‘Five years ago I was living on my dad’s bedroom floor in a council flat. I was like “I don’t live where you guys think I live and I’m not doing what you guys think”. I felt like a fraud.’
Now, AJ will be back on TV in just a few weeks for the new season, with a teaser already sending fans into a frenzy.
The programme will return on Sunday, October 8 at 9 p.m. as part of a ‘disruptive multi-channel and streaming takeover’ on ITV1, ITV2, and ITVX.
A source said: ‘It will be pre-recorded the night before but still loads of live content on launch night with Big Brother: Late & Live following immediately after, live from the site of the house.
‘Not only will viewers meet the new batch of housemates but they’ll see all the action from the first night in their new home!’
For the remainder of the series, episodes will be available every night at 9pm – bar Saturdays – on ITV2 and ITVX.
Big Brother: The Launch is airing on ITV1, ITV2 and ITV X at 9pm on October 8.
Loose Women airs weekdays from 12.30pm on ITV1.