Will Mellor is the first celebrity to be confirmed for this year’s Strictly Come Dancing, and the reason he’s signed up for it will tug at your heartstrings.
The Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps actor revealed on BBC Breakfast that he’s taking part in the competition because it’s his mum’s favourite show and that following the death of his dad in 2020 he wanted to create new memories.
Speaking to presenters Naga Munchetty and Charlie Stayt, Will shared: ‘The training side of it is one of the reasons why I’m doing it.
‘My mindset completely changed a while back and I just thought I’ve got to start doing things that frighten me a little bit and step out of your comfort zone, and that’s what life is about.
‘And when I got the phone call for this I just said “yes, I’m going to do it”.’
He continued: ‘Also, I lost my dad in 2020 and I just thought from then I’ve just got to grab life and I’ve got to do things and I’ve got to create new memories and my mindset changed, and that’s sort of one of the reasons why.
‘It’s my mum’s favourite show so she’s had it really tough over the last few years so I thought we’ll do this…’
Will previously opened up about losing his father in an emotional video shared on his social media.
‘It’s just the hardest time,’ he said. ‘It’s horrendous. What do you do when you lose your hero?’
Struggling to contain his emotions, Will continued: ’I also know there are a lot of people who are going through this out there.
‘I just want you to know I feel your pain. We’ve just got to try and stick together and get through it. Try and remember the good times.’
‘If you think about my dad, remember the good times,’ he added. ‘That’s what I’m going to do, and we’ll get through this. That’s it.’
Alongside the video, Will simply wrote: ‘Worst week of my life.’
Strictly is set to return to our telly boxes in just a matter of weeks, with audiences also making a comeback to the studio this year.
And, there is more excitement in store for fans as bosses are planning a special group routine on August 24, to mark 100 years of the BBC.
Tess Daly and Claudia Winkleman will return to host the 20th series of the show, while Shirley Ballas, Craig Revel Horwood, Motsi Mabuse and Anton Du Beke will all take their places on the judging panel.
Four new professional dancers have joined the juggernaut this year too; European cup winner Vito Coppola, Chinese National Champion Carlos Gu, former Under 21 British National Champion Lauren Oakley and Latin dance champion Michelle Tsiakkas.
Strictly Come Dancing returns September 10 on BBC One.