My Celebrity Life

Festival season ‘still possible despite the cancellation of Glastonbury’, says chief executive

Festival season is ‘still possible’ this year despite Glastonbury Festival being cancelled.

Paul Reed, who is Chief Executive Officer at Association of Independent Festivals, told BBC Breakfast that if the government can ensure festival organisers can access insurance, then there’s a chance that smaller festivals could still go ahead.

‘I will say about Glastonbury that it is a different beast to most festivals and most likely ran out of time due to the size and complexity of the event,’ Paul told hosts Naga Munchetty and Charlie Stayt.

‘There would have been a need there to commit incredible cost to stage the event.

‘For most festivals, the cut-off point is more likely the end of March, it takes about six to eight months to organise a festival.

‘Many more festivals can be more nimble, however, they are rapidly approaching that point where they need to make a decision about his year.’

My Celebrity Life –
Paul Reed says smaller festivals could go ahead (Picture: BBC)

‘This is devastating news about Glastonbury,’ Paul continued.

‘Not least for the amount of staff and freelancers and companies involved in delivering the event, but a festival season is still possible for this year if Government act now on insurance.’

He went on to explain that festival organisers are currently struggling to get insurance for Covid-19 related cancellations.

He added: ‘We do need Government to intervene in this issue.’

My Celebrity Life –
Glastonbury has been cancelled (Picture: PA)

On Thursday, Glastonbury organisers Michael and Emily Eavis announced that the festival has been cancelled for the second year in a row because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The iconic festival, which attracts around 200,000 revellers each year, was set to begin on June 27.

 

A statement from the Eavises read: ‘With great regret, we must announce that this year’s Glastonbury Festival will not take place and that this will be another enforced fallow year for us.

‘In spite of our efforts to move Heaven & Earth, it has become clear that we simply will not be able to make the Festival happen this year. We are so sorry to let you all down.

‘As with last year, we would like to offer all those who secured a ticket in October 2019 the opportunity to roll their £50 deposit over to next year and guarantee the chance to buy a ticket for Glastonbury 2022. We are very appreciative of the faith and trust placed in us by those of you with deposits, and we are very confident we can deliver something really special for us all in 2022!

‘We thank you for your incredible continued support and let’s look forward to better times ahead.’

BBC Breakfast airs daily at 6am on BBC One.

 


Credit: Original article published here.

Related posts

LBC’s Steve Allen’s ‘chubby’ comment about Strictly Come Dancing’s Tilly Ramsay dismissed by Ofcom despite uproar

John Turner

Michelle Heaton shares shocking photos at height of alcohol addiction to help others seek help

John Turner

Christine McGuinness finally found friends after years of being a ‘recluse’: ‘My days were filled with waiting for my husband to come home’

John Turner
%d bloggers like this: