My Celebrity Life

Oti Mabuse’s new dating show Romeo and Duet ‘facing the axe after one series’

Oti Mabuse’s new ITV Saturday night show Romeo and Duet is reportedly unlikely to return (Picture: ITV)

Oti Mabuse’s new TV show Romeo and Duet is reportedly set to be axed by ITV after just one series – a decision made before its final episode has even aired.

The 31-year-old star left her role as a professional dancer on Strictly Come Dancing earlier this year and returned to screens as the host of the dating/talent show, which features contestants looking for love using their singing skills.

After introducing themselves to the audience, one contestant would serenade another stood on a balcony, Romeo and Juliet style, but the singleton would only be able to hear rather than see their potential match.

If they liked what they heard, they would step down for a face-to-face introduction with presenter Oti before heading off on a date to learn a duet, which they later returned to perform together.

However, a source suggests that the programme will be cancelled after it failed to find an audience.

‘This will be gut-wrenching for Oti as it was her first solo presenting gig since quitting Strictly to pursue new opportunities.

The show debuted in April, to a mixed response (Picture: ITV)
It’s reported that Romeo and Duet’s viewing figures were lower than hoped (Picture: ITV)

‘Expectations were high for the programme as she is immensely popular with the public and Romeo and Duet was given a prime-time slot,’ they told The Sun.

The insider added: ‘Rubbing salt in the wound is the fact that the series hasn’t even finished – the final episode airs this Saturday.’

The publication reports that the decision was made due to a slump in ratings, which reportedly bottomed out at just 890,000 viewers for the last episode, the same number of people watching highlights of the Chelsea Flower Show which aired on BBC 2 in the same time slot.

An ITV spokesperson has since told Metro.co.uk that ‘no decision’ has yet been made about the show.

‘Romeo and Duet has performed particularly well amongst our 16-34 audience and no decision has been made at this point on the future of the series.

Oti quit Strictly Come Dancing earlier this year as a two-time champion (Picture: BBC)

‘We are concentrating on the first series at present, which continues this weekend.’

The news comes after Oti suggested she might not be done with Strictly.

The professional dancer quit the BBC ballroom show earlier this year after seven years after becoming the first pro to win the series back to back: first with Emmerdale star Kelvin Fletcher an then with comedian Bill Bailey.

The pro dancer has also kicked off a judging career with Dancing On Ice, as well as The Masked Dancer (Picture: Matt Frost/ITV)

She has since gone on to be a judge on rival shows Dancing on Ice and The Masked Dancer.

However, the South African choreographer has hinted she hasn’t ruled out returning to Strictly.

Speaking to WalesOnline, she recently said: ‘Strictly has been everything to me and has given me this amazing platform that I have. No, I’m not done – it still has a place in my heart.’

Romeo and Duet airs at 7pm on ITV on Saturday.

 


Credit: Source

Related posts

Stranger Things creators the Duffer brothers reveal heartbreaking improvised part of season 4 death scene

John Turner

I’m A Celebrity bosses ‘in talks with Lady Colin Campbell’ for explosive all-stars return 

John Turner

If Gemma Owen’s dream man walks in ‘all bets are off’: Love Island body language expert’s Casa Amor predictions

John Turner
%d bloggers like this: